Tragically, homelessness is a major problem affecting America’s veterans. Due to a lack of affordable housing, limited post-service job opportunities, and inadequate care for veterans with physical or mental conditions, tens of thousands of men and women who once heroically protected our country now find themselves in poverty on American streets, needing assistance for even basic essentials until they can get back on their feet.
Help GreaterGood support those who kept our homeland safe and now are themselves without a home and safety!
When you purchase a Care Pack on behalf of a homeless veteran and their beloved pet, you will be letting them know they have not been forgotten by the country they served.
Each homeless veteran comfort pack includes:
- A backpack to hold supplies and possessions.
- A hygiene kit including shampoo, soap, and toothbrush.
- A reusable water bottle.
- A t-shirt and socks to provide a clean change of clothing.
- A blanket for warmth and comfort.
Many homeless veterans are also caring for a beloved animal companion. These animals provide emotional support and comfort, yet the responsibility can bring a added stress to a homeless veteran’s life.
Each pet pack includes items to help a homeless veteran care for their pet…
A drawstring backpack to hold the pet supplies.
- A collapsible bowl to provide a clean place for the pet to eat or drink.
- A slip lead leash to ensure the pet remains safe with their veteran owner.
- A treat and a toy that provides the dog with comfort and happiness. This gift also helps to create an even stronger bond between the veteran and their pet.
You can make the strongest impact by providing a combined pack to provide everything listed above for both a veteran in need and their pet. Let them know that we remember their sacrifice, and we will continue to work until every veteran is cared for appropriately.
The purchase of a Care Pack additionally generates our customary charitable donation to help provide meals for veterans -- an extra 2 meals with every pack!
Program Update from May 2020: Thanks to you, hundreds of veterans & their pets have received their care packs. The packs are being sent to two programs at the VA.
Health Care for Homeless Veterans Program: A program designed to end involuntary homelessness among Veterans through outreach efforts and links to both the VA and community resources. Veterans in this program have access to an immediate assessment of needs, client-centered treatment planning, case management, and referral for a wide variety of VA and community based programs.
Housing and Urban Development Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing: Provides long-term case management, supportive services, permanent housing support for chronically homeless or vulnerable Veterans, and other housing assistance programs.
“It warms their hearts to feel the love and support from their community and to know that they are appreciated for their service to our country and that others want to give back to them,” says Danna Auriana, Clinical Director of Homeless Programs for the Southern Arizona VA Health Care System.
Other important information:
- You will not receive a shipment from this purchase. We will facilitate the donation directly with qualifying organizations your behalf.
- You will be charged all required taxes for your location. Save your receipt and consult your tax professional to determine if you're able to claim this purchase as a tax-deductible donation expense.
- GreaterGood has ultimate authority and discretion with regard to the distribution of Benefit Buy contributions based upon what the receiving organization needs the most. We will always contribute products of equal or greater value. Contributions may be distributed as cash or may be used to help other charity partners depending on the greatest need.
- GreaterGood is proud to help people that are in need. We are 20 Years Strong, and we couldn't have done it without your support--thank you!
Customer ReviewsWrite a review
I'm a Veteran of more than 11 years. I have had a hard time adjusting to civilian life. I was homeless for a couple of years. But thank God I didn't have an animal with me at that time because it's hard enough being by myself. I thank God for Mimi and this wonderful job she started here for the shelters. It breaks my heart to see the people who are homeless, especially with an animal because people can get help for themselves in places, but nobody thinks about their animal! When I used to drive and saw a homeless person with a dog, I would go to a store to buy dog food for that animal, when I could. Mimi is my favorite person on the planet for doing this! I love you, Mimi!!!
no vet shd be homeless. they shd be considered first in line. they fight for their country and thats the thanks they get. do what is right and give them a home now.
It's horrible that the government is not helping our veterans. I will donate to a veteran. Please inform them there is place with free bags of dog food for their pets. Thank all the veterans for everything you have done for all of us. God bless